Quality Use of Medicines
The Quality Use of Medicines Program aims to reduce preventable harm from medication errors and improve patient outcomes by promoting safe, effective and appropriate medication use.
Who are we?
The Quality Use of Medicines Program represents the Victorian State Government on matters relating to the QUM. We strive to achieve our vision through consultation on strategy and policy development with:
- international, national and statewide patient safety bodies
- Ministerial and departmental programs in Victoria
- Victorian health services
What do we do?
The Quality Use of Medicines Program, through consultation and review of local, national and international literature, has identified five top priorities:
|Standardisation of systems for safe prescribing, administration and supply of medicines throughout the medication management cycle|
|Analysis of data, identifying risks and recommending actions|
|Feedback to and from health services and local, national and international bodies on QUM initiatives|
Further QUM information
- APAC Guiding principles for continuity of medication management
- APAC Guiding principles for medication management in the community
- APAC Guiding principles for medication management in residential aged care facilities
- Austin/Northern MedGap Project - Addressing gaps in continuity of medication management after transfer from hospital to residential care
- CATAG Guiding Principles for the roles and responsibilities of Drug and Therapeutics Committees in Australian public hospitals (November 2013)
- Best care for older people everywhere: The medication toolkit
- Medication reconciliation – Safer Systems Saving Lives
- NPS consumer information